- Project: Flooding prevention in the States of Miranda, Yaracuy and Falcon
- Contracting Authority : European Commission
- Location : Venezuela
- Period: 2004-2008
The International Technical Assistance provides services for the drawing up of several Master Plans of the Falcón, Miranda and Yaracuy States with the objective to guarantee a proper environmental protection throughout a sustainable land use management with particular attention to the prevention of flooding in 14 river basins (Tuy, Guaire, Tocuyo, Siquisique, Araurima, Yaracal, etc.). The total area interested by the project is 36,619 km2.
The 14 river basins, located in Venezuela, are affected by flooding, soil erosion, deforestation, water pollution phenomena, which affect the rural and urban local economy of the whole region. The European Technical Assistance, jointly with national technicians, has the task to study all physical, economic and social aspects, transfer of know-how, planning and supervise all necessary measures in order to draw up proper Master Plans for a sustainable development according to the requirements of the environment and populations.
• Draw up 15 watershed Master Plans including co-ordination aspects among local authorities; update of risk maps and studies for flooding prevention;
• Draw up various Preventive Flood Protection System improving co-ordination throughout the Civil Protection Authority; training of population on manage on environment resources;
• Strengthening of building capacities for co-ordination and implementation of rehabilitation plans;
• Support local authorities in taking face of population needs in applying national and regional legislation and rules on environmental protection;
• Carry out sectorial studies on Hydrogeology, geomorphology, land use, erosion, flooding areas, hydrology, remote sensing analysis, rural sociology, rural development, producers organisation, etc.
• Draw up and implementation of land use and soil conservation practices; Reduction of flooding risks throughout European technologies and improvement of water quality systems.