- Project: Integrated Rural Development Programme of South West of Guatemala
- Contracting Authority : European Commission
- Location : Guatemala
- Period: 1993-2001
The programme aimed the purpose to strength the small / medium rural organisations as Farmers Enterprises both at first and second level of organisation. The programme has been implemented as a support to the new Farmers Enterprises based on small producers owning 2.8 Ha / Family. Main activities are concerned agricultural diversification, production infrastructures as agro-industry, agricultural product logistics and transportation, handling, selection and packaging both for export and national markets. The target population has increased to 20 Farmers Associations organised as sustainable enterprises. Objective of the technical assistance was the capacity building of rural organisations in order to create an entrepreneurial pattern able to take face to the dynamics of local and Central American markets. In few case the organisations has established a proper presence in the USA markets. A suitable organisation pattern has been achieved and a third level of organisation has been established.
• Promotion and establishment of the National Association of Farmers Enterprises (ANAECAS);
• Establishment and implementing of the 5 first National Federations of Farmers Associations;
• 18 sustainable Farmers Enterprises located in four Departments (of which one is exporting to the USA market 3 containers / week of plantains and banana throughout an agreement with Chiquita);
• Increased yields both from staple food and cash crops; • Export to USA markets of plantains, bananas, coffee and sesame;
• Export to El Salvador markets of various fruit and vegetable (papaya, plantains, bananas, water melon, tomato, chilli, etc.;
• Development of around 7,000 Has irrigated areas; • Women participating in all entrepreneurial activities;
• Support the local institution in projects’ proposal preparations, feasibility studies and facilitate contacts with national and international funding sources;
• Co-ordination with other EC and International projects in the area.